Saturday, December 15 2012 - 9:00 pm
The 24th annual Historic Dennisville Christmas House Tour is our premier fund raising event. On the 3rd Saturday of December each year a minimum of 8 beautifully decorated 18th and 19th century historic homes, as well as several public buildings and 2 churches, are open to the public. Please think about starting your holiday season with a festive glimpse of history in Dennisville at Christmas time!
• Sponsor – Dennisville Historic Home Owners Association, Inc., [501 (c)(3)].
• Date – Saturday, December 15, 2012.
• Time – 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
• Tickets - $10.00 - sold at the Dennisville Post Office, 24 Hall Ave. in Dennisville the night of the tour only beginning at 4:30 pm. Greeters will distribute programs and get tour goers started on their way. Houses open at 5:00 pm. The Post Office will be open for stamp sales as well.
• Soup and sandwich supper at the South Dennis Trinity United Methodist Church beginning at 4:00 pm until food runs out ($8.00 adults, $3.50 children under 12).
• Refreshments and comfort stations at the Dennisville United Methodist Church Social Hall.
• Sunnyside Up Carolers will perform through the village.
• Alice Belanger McGuigan’s illustrated “Historic Dennisville: A Walking Tour” will be available for sale at the ticket center.
• Dennis Volunteer Fire Company – will be open with equipment (new and antique) on display. Light refreshments will be available here.
• For further information visit http://dhhoa.dennistwp.org or contact Jack Connolly at (609) 861-1338 or at Dennisvillechristmashousetour@verizon.net.
FEATURE HOUSE -- Thomas (Jr.) and Zilpah Ludlam House--ca. 1790
The Thomas (Jr.) and Zilpah Ludlam House was built ca. 1790. Thomas Ludlam Jr. (1764-1823) and his wife, Zilpah (nee Smith) probably built this house around 1790, the year they married. The house originally stood on Jake’s Landing Road, not far from the Ludlam family cemetery, and was part of his father’s (Thomas Ludlam Sr.) several hundred acre farmstead. Little is known about Thomas Ludlam Jr. He owned a quarter-interest in a sawmill and in addition to farming, probably harvested timber from the cedar swamps and forests on his land. Ludlam died in 1823 and his son Jacob—for whom Jake’s Landing Road is named—received the house and its 825-acre tract. The house was moved to the corner of Jake’s Landing Road and Rt. 47 in the late 1800s, then to its present location in South Dennis in 1972. The shorter addition was added ca. 1975 and the rear addition was completed in 2012.